View Single Post
Old
06-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
gonna try something here....

Here let's look at a sample of the posts that so inspired PLD to create a poll. Nobody is saying the guy is worth a shot at a franchise player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FmmF3
As for Roszival,the signing is a good thing. Roszival is 28 and was a huge part of a defensive core that was tops in the NHL until March. During our stretch from November to February he was at times the best d we had out there. If he could stop taking so many penalties, I'd be ecstatic about getting him for $2 million.

However, having him and Richter back there is a bit stupid. I'd rather leave one in exchange for a tough blueliner, or one of the kids. But time will tell - Renny has developed a hell of a defensive system for our guys to fall in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master
I"LL disagree with the general sentiment in this thread and say that this would be a decent deal for the Rangers. i know there's a lot of Roz hate on these boards but I think any D-man who plays minutes like that on a winning team is worth the 2.5 per year if not more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Rozsvial played during all important situations on a 100 point team. Somebody would've paid him this money on the open market. The guy is young (oh but younger is better unless we are talking ortmeyer vs hossa right?) and is coming into his prime years on the blueline....

Rozsival play was not covered up by playing with Jagr... He helped Jagr and his linemates play better....

You can never have to many quality defenseman and I'm sure if Rozsival was North American certain posters would have no problem with this signing...

Anyway i'm going to go back to reading quotes from Renney in mid march about the Rangers players and declare them as fact about the state of the rebuild forever...oh wait i don't do that...
Quote:
If it's right it's a bargain but Brooks is never right. This was the number he threw out earlier in the year and now it has turned into fact.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master
Fair enough, any dman would benefit from playing with Jagr. Having said that, why would Renney give Roz the most minutes on the team? It seems to me that the staff trusts Roz. It's also curious to note that Roz has a slightly better +/- then Jagr and marginally better +/- then any other Dman on this team. Is it possible that he's earned a better +/- in part because he contributes to this teams success?

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/stats?se...ewName=summary
Quote:
Consider the FACT that quality defenseman are hard to come by. It's easy to bring somebody in for more money and hope they play AS WELL as Rozsvial did this past season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
It's less than 5% of the cap space for a sound defensemen who doesn't make mistakes. How much would you pay for a guy like him? Would you rather bring in a vet like Ozolinsh for 4 million and believe he'll play twice as good as Rozsival?
Quote:
Roszival is a guy that played on the 1st pair not 3rd pair. Our defense isn't in great shape but isn't because of Rozsvial. Infact i would venture to guess that the real third pairing on the Rangers next season is Tyutin and Kaspar. (if both are back) Defenseman are like middle relievers in baseball... If you are better than decent you are going to be overpaid..

Roszival is entering the prime years of his career and has proven that he can play for the Rangers (many more overpaid guys have proven they can't)

The guy is solid but no spectacular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivrydov
Rozsival is part of the solution, not part of the problem. He led the league in plus-minus, had 115 shots on goal, second to Poti, but scored five times, three of the them game winners, exceeding Poti's totals. He had 25 assists, best among the defenceman. He's worth what the market will bear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivrydov
The Rangers were damn lucky to get Rozsival who had 3.5 seasons under his belt with Pittsburgh and peaked at nine goals one year. But the last year before the strike he injured his knee which put him out all season. He played during the strike in the Czech Republic proving it wasn't a career-ending injury. He got paid last year a paltry by today's standards $703,000. He'll be 28 when the season starts and is just hitting his prime. With him, Malik, and Kasparaitis, the Rangers have a solid defensive core if the three return. The rest is open to competition. Ideally that would include a rushing defenceman, sober, and a tough guy along the lines of Beauchemin, were one to be available.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote