Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Alex Kovalev to sign a 1-year deal with the Panthers
View Single Post
01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Sabres & Blackhawks
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
As much as I've disliked Kovalev over the years because he was on rival teams, there's nothing better than to seeing one of the all-time greats make a return and keep going so I'm glad to see Kovalev back.

I don't know how well he'll play this year and I won't be expecting much, but he's still extremely talented and the Panthers lack that kind of offensive talent and raw skill in their forwards. The Panthers are also a very young team and an older veteran like Kovalev should be of great help to the younger players especially. It seems like he'll start with Huberdeau and Mueller and Huberdeau is just a rookie. Usually, older players really mesh well with the kids at points. Guerin did wonders with Crosby and Recchi with Bergeron and Marchand as just two recent examples of this. It kind of works in both ways; the older guy usually helps the younger ones and in turn vice versa to form a nice thing happening. I think that has a chance to happen for Kovalev here. I don't think Huberdeau and Mueller will make him who he once was, as age has caught up with him and he'll never quite get that back, but they certainly could help him and I expect he'll do the same for both these younger players by being there as a veteran to help, especially for the rookie.

Good signing. Like I said, Kovalev brings some offensive talent that the Panthers don't have a lot of. I like that.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote