View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 07:50 PM
HighLifeMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Look at the waiver wire, defensemen of Smith's ability are available all over the place. Very few teams would be willing to commit an NHL roster spot to him for the season and even of those teams who might be willing he may not even be their top choice since so many comparable players have been and still are available. Smith had a decent run last year, but he played mostly sheltered minutes and is still a borderline NHL defenseman, him being on a one way deal with another full year left makes it even less likely he will be picked up on waivers right now.

Now in a month or three I would agree with you, but this is the part of the year where you can sneak guys through waivers fairly easily.
I don't think we have seen a single player of his caliber hit the waiver wire to this date. Both Joe Finley and Thomas Hickey had no problems finding a roster spot.

In a shortened season depth on defense is extremely important. Derek Smith is an NHL caliber defender, and I just can't see him making it through. And so what if he played sheltered minutes? that is what bottom pairing defenders do at the highest level.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote