Thread: Bobby Holik
View Single Post
Old
12-12-2003, 07:43 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
Last year, he too often looked out of place and never really developed any chemistry with any linemates. Plus he came into camp out of shape and was rarely the mean SOB we expected him to be. But after being used to so much success with the Devils, I think all the losing last year really pissed him off. So he came into camp this year in much better shape and a commitment to regain his tough, physical style. So far, he's done that. He's found chemsitry with guys like Rucinsky and Kovalev (of all people), and it seems like whenever a struggling player is put on his wing, that player rejuvinates his game. I've said this before, and every Ranger fan would probably agree with me, but Holik is best when given the shutdown checking center role. Too often has Sather not matched lines, and that has been a big gripe of mine. But it seems like Holik is finally starting to play like we expected him to. He's been mean, he's been physical, he's created space for other players. Plus he's been a mainstay in front of the net on the power play.

As for whether he's worth $9 million...I dont think any NHL player deserves that much, but as SBOB mentioned, thats what the market set him at. If it wasnt the Rangers paying him $9 mil, it would be some other team paying him only slightly less.