View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
How about the fact that we sign the leftovers from other clubs and never drafted high? How about the fact that rather than rebuild (which we should've done an infinite number of times) we went for 8th place?

8th place and making the playoffs became the target for success and many people here became satisified with it. That was the problem.

I think acquiring prospects is great. I just think we should do a whole lot more of this...
We already have solid prospects. Prospects are great, but not at the expense of emptying the cupboard of everyone over 30 years old. Dumping developed talent for developing talent isn't a ticket to the Cup, it just creates an aura of anticipation for a future that may never pay off. Defer, defer, defer. All you've done is mask the problem with youth, which is the flip side of masking the problem with aging vets. The Habs have been guilty of the latter; you're suggesting we switch to the former. You need a balance, which is why every Cup winner has a mix of youth, prime and vets.

Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Collberg -- all will begin making an impact in about three years. What better veteran presence at that time than a 33 year-old Plekanec?

As to an already-older Markov, I agree, I would deal him for Forsberg for all the reasons you mentioned. I'd guess most of us would. But Washington wouldn't. And there's the problem. All this talk about prospects really comes down to TOP prospects, which are much, much harder to land. I mean, Eller and Nokeleinen were 1st-rounders, as was AK, but that didn't bring us closer to a Cup. Let's see if a first-round pick from Columbus or the Islanders is even on the table before we debate who we'd trade away. I doubt it is.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote