View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 12:48 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
That's just absolutely crazy talk. Go and look at how many guys scored at a PPG pace last year. It's easier said then done.

I'd be happy with a .7 PPG pace. He's still young, not a baby young, but still young enough where his game is still developing. Some guys develop differently than others, especially when you consider the fact that some people are thrown to the wolves way before they're ready (Bailey).

Fact of the matter is, Bailey has been a streak player in his career. He shows flashes of brilliance, then disappears for LONG stretches at a time. But when he is producing, he shows an ability that not many guys on our team have.

I don't see why we're so quick to get rid of him. I'm not saying hand him a 10 year deal and throw him on the first line, but to get rid of him because he doesn't produce a PPG is nuts.
[QUOTE=petrocelli;57770027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
When Bailey plays wing his game is much more north and south and simple. A lot of centers have made the switch to wing.

I just can't help but think that this will be Bailey's last year on the Island if he doesn't produce near a PPG pace when he gets healthy.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Bailey will end up at wing, but I would like to see him get a legit shot at second line center this season. If he fails, Strome or Brock Nelson will be happy to take that second line center spot from him next year. Maybe Bailey would be better off playing wing for one of those two kids, but until then, let's give Bailey a shot.

A PPG is really stretching it. You're basically asking Bailey to have the year that Tavares had last year (81 points in 82 games). That put him in the top-10 scorers in the league. So are you saying Bailey has no future with the Isles if he doesn't end up in the top-10 scorers in the league this year?? If it was a full season, I'd be happy with 20-25- 45 points. If Bailey ends up playing 40 games this year, I'd be happy with 20-25 points.
I said near a point per game pace. For example, GusTheo suggested a .7 point per game pace and I think that number is somewhere in the ballpark of where he needs to be consistenly in order for Garth to offer him a long term deal. The fact of the matter is there are going to be prospects pushing for that second line line spot and is Bails doesn't consistenly provide quaility top six scoring, then he could be trade bait.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote