View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 02:30 AM
ferroid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zar View Post
I feel this version of the Canucks has passed the window of opportunity. The team you are dressing in the first 10 games will not win you a Cup, it would barely get you into the playoffs. If I were the Canucks I would play it out this way....

1. see how the first half goes with the injury issues - if going well, trade Luongo for whatever is missing. If ot going well, hang onto Luongo until trade deadline or even the summer.
2. by hanging onto him you get to see if you not improve our team today in hopes of a better draft position or make a trade to improve today if your team has a shot. It should also increase his trade value... there will be injuries this year. You will also see some odd teams making a run to make the playoffs and you never know what desperate GM might pulll the trigger on a questionable trade to make his team better today.
3. Obtaining better draft pick this year and some excellent prospects and/or even a very good 2 or 3 year NHLer(s) out of Luongo (NYR have a couple) if Lundqvist goes down to injury.
4. Imagine what you could get for the Sedins in the next year or 2?
5. Keep Schneider and the Dcorps.

In about 5 years you are ready to take another run at it.

Too many teams do not identify that their windows have closed and hang onto hope, applying bandaids to an ailing lineup, rather than re-tooling while your assets are still worth something. Re-tooling would open up a wider window.
Wait one second.

The team that is functionally equivalent to the President's Trophy winning team last year (remember, Kesler, Booth, Raymond, Daniel Sedin, and arguably Henrik Sedin had down years last year) loses Salo, gains Garrison, has a couple injuries in their top 6, and suddenly we're barely likely to make it into the playoffs?

This team has a defence corp that would rival most any in the west - we may not have that bona fide number one, but we have an incredible top 4, and a very adequate bottom pairing. We have, for the moment, two excellent goaltenders, neither of whom will be moved for any value that is worse for the team in this shortened season.

We have an incredible top line, and a strong nucleus of forwards in our bottom six. How many teams can boast of having wingers like Hansen and Higgins on their third lines? Malholtra seems to have taken a step in the right direction, Lapierre has shown on multiple occasions that he can be relied upon, and Dale Weise seems ready to take the next step in his development.

Sure, with injuries to Kesler and Booth, we may not win the President's Trophy again.

But barely squeak in, or not make the playoffs entirely?

That, my friend, is ludicrous.

ferroid is offline   Reply With Quote