Thread: Confirmed with Link: Claude Giroux named Captain of the Flyers
View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 03:27 AM
Sievegalov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
My opinion (which I know means nothing lol) is that the captain should always go to a veteran player that's been through it all. A player that's faced every kinda adversity thrown at him. A very experienced warrior.
Kimmon Timonen even states in his interview that the only thing Giroux may be lacking is experience. So why thrust the captaincy upon an inexperienced player? What's the rush to give Giroux the captaincy when Kimmo and Danny are both better fitted for the job and they are both done in a year or two.
Giving Giroux the captaincy is a given. He's our best player by leaps and bounds. Conducts himself professionally on and off the ice. I just think its a little soon for him to get it. My opinion.
Claude Giroux is 5 year NHL veteran.
He's been to the Stanley Cup finals, leading the team in points, getting chewed out by the captain, seeing another captain get traded, going through a lockout.

Before that, he won President's Cup, playoff MVP, and gold medal. Oh yeah, before that, he also went undrafted twice in the CHL draft, talk about adversity, it just made him work even harder. He made Gatineau as a walk-on, and won the Q rookie of the year, then Bobby Clarke forgot his name at the draft. The kid as been through more than most guys in their entire careers. He can handle it.

And if he's too young at 25 with 5 years of NHL experience under his belt, you would have craped your pants when Bobby Clarke was named captain at 23. Of course the Red Wings didn't have a problem with a 21 year old Steve Yzerman either.

Sievegalov is offline   Reply With Quote