View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Comparable issue is how much of a difference maker was Al Rollins in the WHL?

In 1953 Glenn Hall lead the 4th place Edmonton Flyers to the WHL Championship, then in 1955 the Edmonton Flyers dominated the WHL with Glenn Hall finishing first and winning the WHL championship. Given that Hall replaced Rollins in Chicago at the start of the 1957-58 it puts WHL the definition of a "difference maker" by past or future NHL goalies in focus.

Gerry Cheevers led Rochester and Oklahoma City to respective league championships in 1965 and 1967.

Cheevers and Rollins are being debated this round.
Cheevers, Plante and Hall had such long and fruitful NHL careers that we don't need to go looking at what they did in the minors. At best, it's the seasoning on the meat of their careers. In Rollins' case, unfortunately, his NHL career is so short that his minor league career is part of the meat. It is an important part that has to be looked at in order to understand where he ranks - unlike the other three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't really care because neither Hextall or Vernon has a prayer of making my top 8, but you can't compare their stats like this. Hextall spent his prime on a Flyer's team known for boosting their goalie stats, while Vernon spent much of his prime on the run-and-gun Flames.

(And neither could hold Lundqvist's jock )
Yep, this is what I was going to say.

Like I said, it's closer than I ever thought prior to 2011, but I'm not sold on Hextall being on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Are you insinuating Lundqvist actually has balls?

Well, he does alright with the ladies.

which reminds me, I miss your old avatars.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote