Thread: Proposal: TOR Rebuild
View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 11:52 AM
fizban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I dont get it, if they need to rebuild, what the hell have they been doing the last 5 years?

Seriously, leaf fans make me lol.
Well they've been royally screwing up the rebuild by trying to accelerate it... and they've set themselves back because of it. The Kessel trade is a perfect example of how. I like Kessel. If he was the final piece that the Leafs needed to make a deep playoff run, it'd have been a good trade. Instead they basically traded 2 top 5 picks for one. That set them back exactly one year.

Toronto needs what Toronto ownership has never been able to tolerate. They need to be complete trash for a few years. And that doesn't mean just losing (which is what they've been doing), but it means having almost zero high profile players on the team. The team needs to just accept that it needs to be completely broken for a while. That's the only thing that's going to restock the system. The Oilers, Isles and Penguins are all pretty good examples of teams rebuilding the right way, though they're in different stages and have varying degrees of success. This is the way it's supposed to be done. You don't keep a **** team, but also have 4 or 5 star players on it who are ~30 years old.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote