View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I find it's a waste of time arguing with him.

He believes the NHL exists in a vacuum where a new GM taking over has 8 years to try and win a cup at the expense of giving the fans a good product to watch or the owner making money on their huge investment. It also assumes that a team can suck for 3-4 years and it will have no effect on the atmosphere around the team or the players here(especially young).

Imagine yourself in Price, Pacioretty or Deshanais' shoes and your GN dumps a pile of veterans for kids and picks...and does it for 3 straight years...all 3 years you know the team will suck and you have no chance at the playoffs? Do you think those guys would want to hang around? Do you think they would be "winners" in 4-5 years? The best thing taht happened to Pittsburgh Chiacgo as teams taht won after sucking for like 5 straight years is the vast majority of the roster wasn't around and they all arrived at once...plus Pit won the Crosby Lottery and lucked out also with a guy like Malkin at 2. Most years you don't get guys like that at #1.

Edit. Lafleurs Guy you seem like an intelligent person, but you are being really narrow minded on this topic. Your stance is not a realistic one for a guy like Bergevin, not as of today for sure. If the team ***** the bed, then maybe dump a bunch of vets at the deadline, but next summer you need to spend to close to the cap and add other veterans(to change the "culture"). You can't just go bare bones and spend to the cap floor for 2-3 years.
If we'd done this five years ago would we be further ahead now? Be honest...

Of course we would. For years I've told you we've been going down the wrong path. For years people have opposed me. And all the while we've wasted our time. And in the few instances of where we've done what I've said (rebuild and top five moves) it's paid off.

Yes, it's the same argument over and over. But the team has been doing the same things over and over and I've been right. You've been too blind to see it. Go look at when the Gomez and Gionta moves were made. Go look at the people defending those moves. I said they'd set us back five years and that's exactly what's happened. Be honestwith yourself.. did you like those moves? Did you defend them? If so, do you still defend them or can you acknowledge that I was right? If you can't... that's on you.

I think things are better now as we got lucky with Price, made a rebuild trade that got us Max and Gorges and now we have Galchenyuk. Throw in a fantastic steal in the 2nd round with Subban and we're better than we've been in a long time. Maybe even good enough to win something someday.

I just think if we add to what we already have we could become a powerhouse. We're so close. Add in another couple of good prospects and maybe a high pick this year... we're set.

As for me being repeating myself (which I proudly admit that I have) I've done so because the team itself has been a broken record. The solution has been there the whole time and we've avoided it. We've FINALLY gone down the rebuild path a little bit and look at the results.

All I'm saying is to do a little bit more.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote