View Single Post
Old
06-20-2006, 01:02 PM
geezette

vCash: 500
I've known a couple scouts in my life. To start at the bottom you have to be involved with some form of amateur hockey as a coach or assitant. (This assumes you haven't played pro, my friends had).
What you then get to do is have a regular job to support yourself, and spend every other possible minute of the nights and weekends at rinks watching kids play. Bring a couple of kids to the attention of a local junior team and if they agree with your picks, after a few years you might become an official scout. If your team wins, other people start to notice you and you might get a part time offer at a higher level. Of course, when management changes, you could be out of work with little notice. One of my friends is a part time regional scout for a Junior A team. I'm prety sure he does it for nothing or close to it. He likes being at the rink. Another had a Dad who was a scout and he had contacts. I know he worked constuction after he retired from hockey and a the same time scouted the N E area for the Blackhawks. We sort of lost touch so I can't tell you if it ever turned into a full time job. I've seen him at the drafts a couple of times, but haven't had a chance to chat. He's been in the business for 20 years now, so I imagine he's actually making a living at it.

Last edited by geezette: 06-20-2006 at 01:08 PM.
geezette is offline   Reply With Quote