Thread: Easton Mako 2
View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 12:31 PM
SCBruCrew4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
This is a bit off-topic, but I have always thought the industry could use a standard naming convention for sticks. I use an Easton stick, not because I especially like Easton, but because I don't have the patience to pore over stick charts to find the most similar curve in another brand. These companies should make it easier for us to switch to them - not harder!

It would be as simple as assigning a name or letter to the key curve features (lie, curve, face, toe, length).

The PM9 might be called the "5BX1M".

Lie 5, curve B (that's arbitrary, but could be the code for mid-heel), X for open, 1 for round (0 for flat), M for medium length. At a glance I know exactly what I am getting.

Same goes for the PM92 - we might call it the "6DX1M" (6 lie, mid-toe "D", open face "X", round toe "1", med length "M") and see very quickly the similarities and differences.

If I generally like the PM92 but want a longer blade and a mid-heel curve instead of a mid-toe, I don't need to be searching the internet, I can look at a P91A (let's call it the "6BY1L") and know right away that it is close what I am looking for.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox.
I understand where your going and for the online buyer I could see this working. Even still I suggest if your buying a stick, buy it in person because 90% of the time, that blade chart you see online doesn't do the actual "in person" curve any justice. I mean take the P92 curve, the blade chart picture barely has the face opening...which in person the face opens up quite a bit. Heck, since we're talking about the Mako 2, the new E28 curve doesn't even look the same when you compare the picture to the way it looks in person. So even when looking at codes I'd only suggest buying sticks in person to actually see what your getting.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote