View Single Post
01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The Toronto Maple Leafs no longer seem like a probable trading partner for Roberto Luongo.
The Canucks and Maple Leafs were reportedly working on a proposal that involved Nazem Kadri, Tyler Bozak, and a second round pick at one point. However, Toronto went out of its way to make room on the roster for Kadri by trading Matthew Lombardi and waiving Tim Connolly. New Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis might also recently stated "I’m not going to give up youth for older players." It seems like Toronto is committed to a youth movement that doesn't mesh well with the concept of training some of their young talent for a 33-year-old goaltender.
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Rielly sent back to the dub. Good move by Nonis.
Both good moves IMHO. I don't think they need to go too hard on Luongo. I've seen impressive moments from all of Riemer, Scrivens, and Rynnas. Not that you can say any of them are ready now to be big time NHL starters or anything. But they're legit prospects in goal, at least. And the team is rolling in money all the time anyway, so if there's ever a team that really doesn't need to reach for success in a 48-game half-season, the Leafs are probably that. Expectations are not high. Backstrom, Howard, Smith... there are a cast of potential free agent goalies coming. If you don't absolutely need to chain yourself to Luongo's lengthy contract and give up young assets in the process, don't do it. Sadly, Leafs seem to recognize this.

And Rielly is another guy who is just flat out not ready at 18. And also showed below expectations at the WJC, hey! It's smart SOP to let him continue to play in junior.