View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Actually Gerry Cheevers(418) played fewer NHL regular season NHL games than Al Rollins(430).
Well, that's true, but while starring in the WHA it was generally accepted he was capable of being a very good NHL goaltender.

Quote:
The playoff games each played is a team function.

The HHOF issue does not matter. HHOF worthiness is not an indication that one was better than the other. Cheevers has a more complete resume - NHL, WHA, some international - 1974 mainly, 2SCs as the lead goalie vs 1 for Rollins as a minorty starter in a tandem. Cheevers definitely benefits from better eye candy like Worsley.

Al Rollins was a better goalie - the individual awards and honours are well known. Workhorse, whereas Cheevers had to be managed at the NHL level. Rollins was regularly in the top 4 of NHL goalies whereas Cheevers never was.. Personally never saw Cheevers as top six and rarely top ten.
This just makes it even more confusing, to be honest. I don't think I'd have ever thought Cheevers was a top-6 goalie either, if I was watching in the 70s. Draw a comparison.... was he the OSGOOD of the 70s??

At the same time, it's hard to disregard that some high up people in the hockey world saw his whole career and called him a HHOFer.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote