View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Hockeylaw

vCash: 500
If he can skate, hit, make some sort of an offensive contribution on the fourth line, and generally not be a liability on the ice, he'll be a very welcome addition. But I'm doubtful.

I'm not sure that 26 regular season games with the Marlies (in which he scored a single goal, and was a -4 overall), 8 AHL playoffs games (in which he scored no points, and was a -2 overall) and an extended off-season are sufficient to enable a 30-year-old hockey player to completely reinvent his game. I'm expecting more of the same.

That said, the notion that having a brawler like Orr putting around on your fourth line gives the rest of the team more confidence always seemed like highly suspect reasoning to me. Orr overwhelmingly fights other plugs like him... not the players who actually out-muscle, out-score and out-hit our forwards. Nor can he actually protect our better forwards on the ice, because actually playing him with our better forwards would be a huge offensive/defensive liability. Nor can he take action against any player unwilling to fight without drawing an instigator penalty. That means a Steve Ott or a Milan Lucic can run over our forwards all they like, and get away with it as long as they don't drop the gloves.

The solution is to ice bigger, stronger forwards who can't get run over in the first place. Or more players like Komarov, who can (hopefully) respond by running over/annoying the hell out of the opposing team's forwards/pests in kind.

Boston didn't sweep us last season, and dominate us in that lopsided 8-0 loss, because we didn't have Orr on the fourth line. That is one of the silliest fallacies I have seen perpetuated on these boards.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote