Old
06-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
He has put up decent numbers in the past...He's a gazillion times better than Downey, without a doubt. Thing is that we have too many 4th line players already.
I fail to see how he is a gazillion times better than Downey. You mention his ability to put points on the board, well it was a true statement when Domi was in his prime but if we take a look at last season, it's 15 vs 7 for Domi with Domi having played 3 times more ice time. Domi is more skilled than Downey no doubt but he is on the decline and so is his 'scoring ability', and nobody pays Domi to score.

As far as fighting is concerned, Domi faced ONE legitimate top heavyweight which was Brian McGrattan and he got bloodied pretty bad by him. He had a hard time holding his own against a marginal middleweight, Dan Lacouture. He shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as Langdon fighting wise as the later was able to hold on his own against the top heavyweights in the NHL.

Wade Belak is the top heavyweight on the Leafs and the player who was taking care of buisness as the tough guy on the team, who was protecting his teammates against the biggest and toughest thugs in the NHL. Tie Domi cannot do that job effectively anymore and it is questionable if he even has willingness to do it again.

Meanwhile, Downey is as tough as today's Domi and is willing to fight anybody as he already stated and has proven he would do it, and the Norton incident doesn't change that fact IMO. Downey is also defensively aware, gritty and will be playing on a two-way contract for the minimum wage. Downey's age is not a factor while Domi can only get worst. Downey is the consummate team player while I'm not sure Domi would accept a 13th-14th forward role which should be the spot for an enforcer in today's NHL and I'm not so sure he would accept being benched as well as Downey who understands his role and played it pretty damn well for the Habs last season.

Why would we pay for a declining tough guy who cannot defend his teammates effectively who can only get worst, be more expensive and maybe be a potential headcase?

Even his loyal Leafs fans have abandonned the Domi ship: http://hfboards.com/poll.php?do=show...s&pollid=19162

I disagree Domi would be a gazillion times better than Downey and I hope Gainey don't even think about offering him a contract.

Mathieu Lavergne is offline   Reply With Quote