View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 01:57 PM
13th Floor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think in this case, the "glut" as you call it, is a smart thing.

IMO, when looking at the Isles blueline, I see three guys who are solid (Streit, Macdonald, Hamonic), and then a pretty bad collection for the other 3 spots. Martinek's an injury risk and is also not getting any younger, so I'm really not sure how much injury and age has hurt him. Ideally, Carkner's a physical 7th defenseman who can slot in as a 6th, then you've got two AHLers in Landry and Wishart, plus kids like Donovan and Reinhart who could probably do with a bit more seasoning in junior/AHL. Visnovsky is a wildcard, but what exactly can you expect out of a guy who is fighting this hard not to show up? A defenseman version of Brian Rolston from last year?

By bringing in three youngsters who are on the cusp of playing in the NHL in Hickey, Finley and Strait, Snow has potentially solved an issue on the bottom pairing, upgrading on the likes of Wishart and Landry, and allowing Reinhart and Donovan more time to develop, without having to give anything up. Whichever of Hickey, Strait, or Finley looks best in camp gets the bottom pairing job, and AHLers Landry and Wishart can go away.

Obviously this doesn't address any of the other team needs. But just in terms of upgrading or improving the quality of players available for the bottom pairing, I think these pickups make a lot of sense.
I agree with this with one addition. I think the most important part is keeping people like Donovan, Ness, and Reinhart away from the NHL. And with a shortened season, there WILL be injuries. More people between those 3 and the NHL the better.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote