01-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Luongo Trade Discussions Thread II - All ‎

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyorbust View Post
True statement, however...

If Loungo's price tag is so reasonable how come one of the other 28 teams in this league have not traded for him?

The problem is Gillis conveniently forgets the length of the contract he signed. If Loungo was signed to a non cap circumventing contract.. the trade return would be huge. But only so many teams:

a) need goal-tending help,
b) think they can compete in the next 3 to 5 years (ie trade for aging goaltender),
c) afford the cap hit AFTER Loungo hits. Ie take on a bad contract.

Personally I don't want the Leafs to trade for him... but a fair return is someone like Mac, Connolly and a 2nd.
Personally I don't want the Leafs to trade for him either and his contract not his play is a main reason behind that.

However I tend to agree with Gillis thinking here.. Personally in a shortened season and with where he Canucks are as Cup contenders, the thought of having Luongo as their own insurance policy isn't a bad thing. IMO

Quote:
When asked to address the possibility that the team was looking for too much in return for Luongo, Gillis fired back. "Fair value is different for every team that you speak to because they have different players, they have different concerns and different contractual issues that play into what they have available that you might want," said Gillis.

"The notion that we were asking for too much was floated in the Toronto media by a team that was extremely interested in acquiring Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn't think was right. That's nothing new in this business and it's not the type of pressure that I'm going to succumb too."

When asked if a potential deal with Toronto is "dead" as some have reported, Gillis noted that things can change.
"I don't care, there's a lot of stuff that's going to happen in the first two weeks of this season," Gillis remarked.

"If you start giving all-star players away, you'll be at the bottom of this league in a real hurry. So we have two really good goalies, I don't know what's going to happen with other teams - players might not play well, there may be injuries that they have at that position which may change the landscape. But as it sits today, we need to get something in return that is going to help our team and we're not in the business of just helping other teams.

Full Story: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413886
So unless he gets assets that can help his team, as opposed to simply dumping a contract for other teams spare parts, I would also tend to think holding on to Luo is in their best interest.