Old
01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Both 20 yr old Nino and 22 yr old Donovan, have been named to the AHL all-star team. Isles didn't invite either to training camp. Snow's comments indicate that they wanted Nino anyway, playing top line mins in all situations and if he wasn't gonna being doing that on LI, they wanted him doing that in the AHL.

Would all the fans boohooing about Snow's low risk waiver pickups, still be boohooing, if Snow had given Nino the spot Aucoin will take? If the isles had penciled Donovan into the #6 spot and taken only 1-2 of Hickey/Strait/Finley ?
Isles are doing the right thing in not rushing these prospects. After Nino finishes last season with 1 point in 55 games, I'd expect them to let him get top-six minutes in the AHL, which should be a positive for his development. Clearly, last season could have been a step back for him but he's done well in the minors this year so far.

Anyway, honestly, I'd say Strait is the best of the three defensemen the Isles claimed this week. Won't wow you with anything, little-to-no offense, and at best a bottom-pairing defensive defenseman, but the Islanders will welcome that. Simply, he can play and not look out of place as long as you don't give him too much responsibility. Keep him on the bottom-pairing and he'll be your average defenseman who won't do anything more than what his role is. He's not particularly great at anything, just alright.

I, for one, don't believe Visnovsky will return, so Isles have to work with what they have and that's why Snow's using the waiver wire. Visnovsky and injuries have decimated this team this offseason. I'll believe Visnovsky's back when I see it. Wouldn't be surprised if he never comes back to the NHL.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote