The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Truth...
But NHL proven >>>>> any other proven
same with AHL/KHL proven >>>> junior proven

This just sometimes seems to escape people...
I would say one of the big things I have seen out of the new Jets group is that they are drafting players with mature games. Mark Scheifele was more of a projection type, but that was signed off on by a Jets legend.

It would not surprise me given this trend if they didn't value some of the older prospects a little more than other teams. They play more complete pro games because of the leagues they are developing in.

A big chunk of Detroit's prospects play pro hockey. That means their floor values are a little higher than a lot of people that want to not believe in their system.

Jarnkrok, Smith, Nyquist, Tatar all give pro numbers when you're evaluating them. When looking at the whole system you also have Ferraro, Marchenko, Pulkkinen, Andersson, Almqvist, Backman and now both Sheahan and Mrazek putting up good pro numbers. As pointed out that might not change their ceiling but it does allow for a better understanding of what they do against men and higher age groups.

Like you said NHL proven should be a big deal and it certainly is for for Bogosian especially after his rebound season. But there is something to be said for Nyquist and Smith who have never had a sub-par season the closest you can get is some five years ago as freshman. That is an impressive track record, for instance Nyquist outperformed many of the young proven NHL players during this lockout down in the AHL and I don't think that is an accident. He will need to get the NHL games in to get his value to where people in Detroit truly think it is, but GMs and talent evaluators around the league probably have a good understanding about what he is about and trust that he is an NHL caliber player and circumstances are at work preventing it.

I don't think Nyquist or Smith have lost a lot of value to people running teams in the NHL despite what is pointed out in terms of age and NHL games played by a lot of people around here.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote