Thread: Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVI
View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Halpysback*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKE5889 View Post
Of course there was higher expectations on him. Why wouldn't there be with that contract? However this still leaves the fact that Holmgren overpaid to get Bryz on the team. That was his fault, not Bryz. If we are going to make assumptions based on higher cap hits equaling higher performances then we just need to look on names like Gomez, Komisarek and Connolly to know large contracts doesn't necessarily equal better production.

Don't get me wrong, Bryz was far from impressive last season. However judging him based on one below expectations season, including the injury of Pronger and the bad play of their bottom pairing before Grossman was acquired, would be a mistake. Many players have had a bad year compared to what has been expected of them. Let this season pass, and then we will see if you are right. Maybe he underperforms and Philly buys him out. Maybe he plays well and they don't.
I'm not judging him based on one season. I was judging his performance that season, and he crapped the bed. Maybe he wasn't Neuvirth bad but they got a 1.5 - 2 million dollar performance out of a 5.6 for life goaltender. He did as bad for them as Huet did for Chicago his first year there. Also, he had 2 very underwhelming playoff series for Phoenix prior to being signed by them.

Quote:
Which really just comes to show the mentality of that playoff series. Neither team did come out to play any defense, but instead went all in on offense. In those situations you always end up with lots of goals against, regardless of who is in the net.

Had the situation been different and one team had simply outscored the other game after game, your argument would IMO have been valid. This series was not one of those cases. Both teams focused entirely on offense, hanging their goalies out to dry.
You're trying to fit a series into an absolute. There wasn't one. Both defenses were underwhelming. Both goalies sucked. They allowed easy shots that should have been stopped with any defense. Bryzgalov's lateral movement was about as good as mine. Were both Niemi and Leighton good goalies in the finals just because Hawks and Flyers went all offense then? No, they sucked or at least were avearge at the physical act of goaltending. Much like Bryzgalov and Fleury.

If Bryzgalov plays for last year's capitals and lets in the same types of shots he let in for the flyers, we lose each game by 5 goals even with our defense. This is about him letting in stoppable shots, over and over.

I judge players based on what I see. I look at Bryzgalov and I see guy with lateral movement issues and significant concentration issues. If you throw out all the stats and all the off ice Mr. Universe stuff and just look at him playing in goal this is blindingly evident.

Quote:

Neal was not on the Penguins roster that won the Stanley Cup.
Yet Pens have had no problem signing him to that contract and were gonna give a bigger one to Staal coming into next season. If you want their cup season, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Gonchar, Fleury all made over 5. And that's back when the cap was way lower.

Quote:
The cup winning Hawks got into cap hell following their Stanley Cup title and had to part with names like Versteeg, Byfuglien, Ladd and Campbell. I rather not see that happen to the Caps.
You'd rather not see us win the cup and have to sell roleplayers?

Hawks whole cap problem could have been solved if they were able to move Campbell that season, and they'd have remained a powerhouse with lots of highly paid players. The fact that I have never seen anyone as tone deaf at crafting a roster as Bowman doesn't help.

Quote:
The Canucks roster did indeed reach the final, but failed miserably in the deciding game, coming to show that stars alone does not win games, but players who find their game at the right time does.
They failed miserably because they were completely broken down by then. They were not a team built to a playoff formula but they still got that far simply because of the number of very good players they had. The players who found their games for the bruins were Thomas, Chara, Bergeron and Marchand. 3 guys who were already expensive and one guy who is quite expensive now.

Quote:
Just a few examples.
All of which completely miss the point, but sure.

Ok, how about you name all the teams that have been successful without having multiple great players signed to high contracts since the lockout? I'll start.

1. Phoenix. That's it.

Quote:
Laich is a very popular player in DC. That's more than enough to justify his cap hit compared to other contracts around the NHL. That does not mean that both Benn and O'Reilly could become as popular if not more so if acquired.
I'm sorry, I thought we were in the business of winning cups not being America's friendliest tire changing club. My mistake. Carry on then.

Quote:
Dallas is not rebuilding anymore. They need NHL players, not prospects. If we were to acquire Benn, one of Carlson, Alzner or Holtby would have to go back. I would not be willing to part with any of these three pieces to get Benn.
At the time the proposal was made the impression was that they might look to trade Benn and the value proposed gave them both solid NHL help and extremely well regarded prospects.

I'd do Holtby for Benn in the blink of an eye. He's good but he's not better than Varlamov. If we go back to a Boudreauish style everyone will see it. Hunter did more to put his goalie in a position to succeed last year than any coach not named Dave Tippett. Boudreau's idea of putting his goalie in a position to succeed was telling the defense to run free without a care in the world and calling his goalie a stupid ****

Carlson too. Green and Orlov could fill in there. Alzner I'm not particularly sure. Benn is gonna be on Kopitar and Toews's level in a couple years if not this year.

Quote:
O'Reilly could be had, but would not work out for us. He would just get traded from one team where he has to play third line minutes, because of Duchene and Statsny being above him on the depth chart to DC where he would be behind Backy and Ribs.
I doubt GMGM would like either O'Reilly or Ribs playing third line minutes. That's just a waste of team resources, especially when both players does best at center opposed to the wing.
I don't think you understand the issue. The fact of the matter is that he is, in fact, working extremely well in Colorado. He anchored the 2nd best two way line in the league (after Steen-Backes-Oshie) for them that ate the toughest minutes and shredded whoever they were matched up against. He can also play RW proficiently. A Chimera-O'Reilly-Ward line could play 20 absolutely flawless shutdown minutes per game with high end 3rd line production. Then next year he'd slide into being our Patrice Bergeron/Travis Zajac/Jordan Staal caliber 2C. Once Johansson goes through his annual failure of playing well with Ovechkin and Backstrom we could shift Ovechkin back to LW and slide O'Reilly in at the right. He'd be the best RW that duo has ever had by a longshot.

The reason they're not signing him is because Sherman has an extremely conservative 2nd contract approach that got him Duchene and Johnson for 50% less than most other GMs would have given them. Same deal with Niewendyk. They may see caving to one RFA's contract demands as something that would blow up the whole system and as a result not worth it when there's value that could be had for those players.

Quote:
I do however have a proposition for you to solve our Schultz problem. How about you and me hire a chopper. We kidnap Jeff and drops him in the middle of the forest, where he will be forced to wrestle with hungry bears.

If he vanishes, we don't have to worry about his cap hit. If he returns, well in that case we will actually have a D-man who actually knows how to use his size to his advantage, destroying any opposition that defies us. Are you in?
I'd rather try to entice Edmonton into trading for him. They seem to be on a mission to collect them all.

Schultz and a 3rd for Fistric, a man could dream.

Last edited by Halpysback*: 01-18-2013 at 05:59 PM.