View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post
The only other athlete that can be mentioned in the same breath as Gretzky when it comes to holding records would be Wilt Chamberlain.

He held 128 League records upon retirement. Still holds or shares 72 records. When Wilt played... steals and blocked shots stats were not kept.

This being said..... 50 goals in 39 games will never ever happen again. Heck... most of us will likely never see 50 in 50 in our lifetimes again.
I think his 163 assists are the record most impossible to break. The 50 in 39 I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime. However, 50 in 50 is possible. All you need is a strong half season. Lemieux and Brett Hull did it. Neely sort of did it although he missed games in between. Nicholls was a game away. Esposito was also a game away I believe. Charlie Simmer was close to it. Bossy has done it once too.

Ovechkin and Crosby have at least flirted with it. Ovechkin racked up 65 goals in 2008 (I have to admit I miss him playing like that) and had 39 in 50. Not close, but not impossible either. Crosby had 32 goals in 41 games before his injury. Again, he wasn't going to get there either. Stamkos racked up a ton of goals in the last third of the season last year in order to get 60 but considering how young he is and assuming he has some prime goal scoring years ahead of him don't be surprised if Stamkos is a player that can flirt with 50 in 50. It only has to happen once.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote