View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
Look at our peak year in 1970: I'm sure it has more to do with five goaltenders hanging on past 38. I mean, who were our old goaltenders in 1950 and 1998? Turk Broda (35) with one year left on his expiration date? Grant Fuhr (35) who was about to turn sour himself?

I don't think goaltending had caught up to the first expansion, hence the ability for multiple HOFers to hang on from 38-45 and still find work in the highest league. Nowadays, goaltending is definitely catching up to the point of some teams having two legitimate starters in a 30-team league (Vancouver is so selfish). The position is extremely popular, unlike in past generations. I mean, who doesn't want to be the goaltender?

So, no, expansion was not the golden era. I'd say it was the 1950s and 1960s when everyone had a HOFer.
I saw this as well and am beginning to wonder why?

Probably has something to do with all those top 5 finishes in various categories when there are only 6 teams.

Goaltending isn't my forte, that's why I didn't participate in this project but I really think that people tend to understate the amount of variance that goes on in a league with a larger amount of teams when compared to a league of quite a small number.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote