View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Recoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Only two teams gave up more yards than the Jaguars last year, and also only 2 teams that gave up more points than the Jags last year. I'm not going to pretend I know anything on the guy, so can someone explain to me why we signed this guy?
Yes, look at how their defense was in 2011....#6. What little talent they had in 2011, they lost in 2012. Historically, Tucker has coached some good defenses, the fact was that defense was severely talent starved this year. Couple that with an offense that is also talent starved and went 80% of the year without their best player (MJD) and that spells trouble for a defense.

Seems like he's well respected by players and other coaches, knows a 4-3 system, and has a good track record (2012 not withstanding).

I like this hire. I wanted Rod, of course, but Tucker at least makes me feel that our defense won't take too bad of a hit. Also it appears (as of now) that Hoke, Byrd, and Phair are remaining on staff, so our secondary coaching staff should be consistent (2 Probowl CBs this year, with Jennings breaking out, and good year from Conte/Wright) and our D-Line coach who hopefully learned some tricks from Rod.

I was worried about a significant decline of our defense. I at least feel that with the staff assembled as it is, we shouldn't lose too much ground. I could be wrong, but I feel good about it right now.