Where do the Habs finish this year ?
View Single Post
01-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Looking at last year's team, it was in 12th place before the trade deadline moves.
We have since lost Kostitsyn, Cammalleri, Darche, Gill, Gomez, Campoli, Blunden, Engvist, Subban, etc; and we've added Prust, Armstrong, Bouillon, Galchenyuk, Markov, and Bourque.
1) Bourque is a step down from Kostitsyn. They're comparable offensively, but Kostitsyn has much better 2-way ability and delivers good hits.
2) Cammalleri's production may or may not be replaced, it depends how well Galchenyuk does. The playoff Habs of 2009-10-11 had a Cammalleri that could score at a 30 goal pace, and Galchenyuk won't match this in his rookie year. He could match the 20-goal-pace Cammalleri the Habs had when they were a 12th place team.
3) Bouillon is clearly a step down from Gill. He provides less size, and he doesn't have anything he excels at like Gill on the PK.
4) An injured Markov is being replaced by a locked out Subban. That's a step down.
5) Prust and Armstrong are clearly a step up from Darche and Gomez.
6) There are no replacements for Engvist, Blunden, Camoli, etc, but who knows what we'll see in a Habs uniform once the inevitable injuries happen.
So overall, this is a weaker roster than the one that began last year. Things could change. We could suffer fewer injuries and do better in the shootouts, and Subban could sign. But I'm skeptical we'll be in the playoff picture.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by DAChampion