View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 09:11 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
1) Lupie's Cafe - Sort of a beer hall looking place with great burgers, chili, and banana pudding. Last time I went the portions were big and the prices were easy on my wallet.

2) The Diamond Restaurant - A diner type restaurant, complete with BBQ dipped fried chicken, gyros, amazingly good burgers, and hot dogs. The people who own and operate Diamond formerly operated The Penguin in its most recent heyday (which saw an appearance on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives with that overgrown frat boy who shall not be named) and due to the vagaries of the restaurant biz opened up The Diamond after their lease at The Penguin wasn't renewed.

3) Boudreaux's Louisiana Kitchen Great Creole eats. Bar menu specializes in Hurricanes, naturally, except here you can get them as strong as you like from a Category 1 to a Category 5.

Yes, yes and yes. Strongly recommend. As a native, I'm telling ya, you can't go wrong with the above.

A couple of other suggestions:

A lot of Charlotte visitors spend time in South End. If you're going to do that, you MUST go to Price's Chicken Coop for lunch. Emphasis on the MUST.

On the other side of the city center, if you're going to be on Independence Boulevard at any point you MUST go eat at South 21.

The above are all 100% authentically awesome local restaurants that have been doing their own thing their own way for a long time, all except maybe Boudreaux's are easy on the wallet, and all are convenient to the most interesting parts of town. You really can't go wrong.