View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 08:11 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
I wouldn't be thrilled at shelling out the $6 million-plus offer sheet Subban apparently is looking for, never mind going the other route and trading assets just to land his rights.

Because of the cap space saved from the Staal and Michalek trades, Shero will have the most (short-term) financial flexibility since he made the Hossa deal, which is coming up on five (!) years ago. Rather than rush into a big deal, I'd like to see them play a few months here and see what they have and then make trades accordingly at or near the deadline.
1. I wouldn't give Subban 6M either, and apparently we're not alone. I think the situation with him is like Weber. Only way you're getting him is through a trade.

2. Shero has a **** load of flexibility. In terms of prorated space, I think he can add something like 15M in salary ( I thought more before, but I think it's like 15M at the deadline). He's got so many assets that he could add a guy like Iginla, a guy like Kulemin, and a playoff defenseman (a 3/4 guy) AND still have more than half of his premium trade assets left over. The real question is whether he'll go for it, because he hasn't been in this type of cap position since 2008, and he's never had this much to work with in terms of assets he'd conceivably move in a deal.