View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
I think there's a pretty strong case that John Ross Roach might belong here...or, if not, is a strong enough case to eliminate Alec Connell from contention...and I've had Connell on my ballot the last two rounds (low, but still on it). But when researching Connell, I accidently stumbled upon a lot more good news about Roach. It might be anecdotal, but with these all-time greats, superlatives are not far out of reach. And generally, Connell just doesn't get them, Roach does. It seems odd, but it's very, very reasonable to assume that Roach was considered better than Connell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen - Oct. 18, 1928
One of the greatest goal tenders in professional hockey, John Ross Roach, of the Toronto Maple Leafs was traded today to the New York Rangers for Goalie Lorne Chabot and a cash consideration of about $10,000 (another source later says $12,500) adding a final bulwark to the great strength of the world champions. ||| Roach, one of the most popular goalies in the National League, is ranked second to Roy Worters of Pittsburgh. He has played with Toronto since 1925 and twice helped win the Stanley Cup...||| the article goes on to state that there's a lot of tension between the Rangers and Americans because the Americans had opened negotiations with Roach and the Rangers cut in and swiped him.
I can never find the post about the "unofficial managers all-star teams" from 1927-1930, but what does it say about 1927? If I recall, the full voting is from 1928, but 1927 we just know that Worters was first? If so, is it fair to read this as Roach being 2nd team All-Star for '27 given that - by my eyes - he's not second to Worters in any statistical category. If so, that would give him a 2nd team in a 10-team league to go along with his 1st team in '33, it's something at this point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence News - Nov. 15, 1928
The trade which brought the Rangers John Ross Roach, one of the finest goalies in the league, from Toronto...strengthened the New York team to a point where it is a favorite to walk off with most of the honors.[
Another source indicates that that was basically the "transaction of the offseason"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Cities Star - Oct. 6, 1932
Announcement of negotiations for the purchase of Roach, one of the outstanding goalies of the National League since 1921, was made... [he was bought for $11,000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times - Mar. 30, 1933
John Ross Roach, the almost-perfect goalie, was traded up the Red River...
I'm not gonna dumpster dive for little trinkets from individual games, but having researched both Connell and Roach, you get the impression that Roach was a bigger part of his teams and was more responsible for a positive outcome than Connell was for most of his teams. Maybe excepting the 1935 playoffs, which is regarded highly for Connell. It seems like a game to game, year to year, Roach was a more important member of his clubs.

At worst, I'm not sure that Roach can get too far away from Connell...whether that's 39 and 40 or 41 and 42, I'm not sure...

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote