View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 09:41 PM
blackmarketmob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
Laurier beats Western 2-0 to snap the Mustangs' 15 game winning streak. As a fan and follower of Western, this is only a mild upset in IMO. The two earlier games involving these two were both one goal wins by UWO (one in OT) and Laurier has been quietly getting better all season.

There was a comment made in another discussion to the effect that this Western team is a "powerhouse" - I don't agree. They are a strong, balanced team that has gotten better since the season started, but they are really only slightly better than most of the other teams in that division (having said that, the OUA West is probably the strongest, top to bottom, that it's ever been) - 10 of their 21 games have been decided by 1 goal, so it's not like they are blowing the competition away like, for instance, the 2001/2002 Mustang team did. I'm really looking forward to the UWO/Guelph game this weekend, because I continue to believe Guelph is a very good team that has been flying just under the radar.

I still think any of the top 6 teams in this division is more than capable of coming out on top after the playoffs end.
Highlights from yesterday's game:

A very impressive streak from Western, but you are right that Laurier and Western games have been close despite the vast difference in records and standings. As you mentioned, one win was in OT, and the other one goal victory came with Laurier up 2-0 going into the third. Laurier seems to have more trouble with Guelph and Windsor, either of whom could be their first round playoff opponents should Laurier hold onto seventh.

Playoffs this year should be exciting with pretty much any team capable of an upset, especially with the short 2 out of 3 format all the way through.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote