Thread: Easton Mako 2
View Single Post
Old
01-18-2013, 11:25 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
This is a bit off-topic, but I have always thought the industry could use a standard naming convention for sticks. I use an Easton stick, not because I especially like Easton, but because I don't have the patience to pore over stick charts to find the most similar curve in another brand. These companies should make it easier for us to switch to them - not harder!

It would be as simple as assigning a name or letter to the key curve features (lie, curve, face, toe, length).

The PM9 might be called the "5BX1M".

Lie 5, curve B (that's arbitrary, but could be the code for mid-heel), X for open, 1 for round (0 for flat), M for medium length. At a glance I know exactly what I am getting.

Same goes for the PM92 - we might call it the "6DX1M" (6 lie, mid-toe "D", open face "X", round toe "1", med length "M") and see very quickly the similarities and differences.

If I generally like the PM92 but want a longer blade and a mid-heel curve instead of a mid-toe, I don't need to be searching the internet, I can look at a P91A (let's call it the "6BY1L") and know right away that it is close what I am looking for.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox.
They need to differentiate themselves in order to have a competitive edge.product differentiation. The number of times a customer comes in looking for a particular curve that is surprised when I tell them every manufacturer makes a clone is astounding. In their minds, they really like a Bauer 'P88 Kane' and have no idea that other companies make it, so for their next stick, Bauer has essentially retained them on that basis - no one else calls their pattern the 'P88 Kane'.

LOL and if a lot of people can't tell the difference between what curve codes they use (I mentioned this over on MSH; Bauer seems to have the only customers refer to their curves more by code rather than by player name) then they'll throw up their arms and quit hockey rather than try and decipher'5BX1M' or '6JY2N' Oh, and the marketing for endorsees, can't forget that.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote