View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 02:12 AM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I don't buy quick as being more "elite" than price... Time will tell, but osgood looked great winning the cup, as did fleury, ward, khabibulin...
Price may become as good or better than Quick someday, the odds are good. But thus far, Quick is the better goalie.

Quote:
Price is more than good enough, and unless he implodes, will be cemented as "elite" soon enough.
Price has the advantage of being consistent, he allows 2 goals, 3 goals; with blowouts and shutouts few and far between.

However, he's consistently mediocre, with save percentages of .912, .923, and .916 in the last three seasons. He is above average, but only slightly.

Quote:
Same could be said of subban, & probably maxpac (by summer of 2014 we'll know for sure).
Maybe by the summer of 2014, but thus far Subban is not a top-10 D and Max Pac is not a top-10 winger.

Quote:
Gally is as good an elite prospect as we are going to get... 2-3 years & he should be another ok pirate-esque player...
What counts as a pirate?

As for Gally being as good as we're going to get, we'll see. Lindholm, Jones, MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Drouin would all have even odds at worst of becoming more valuable than Galchenyuk.

Quote:
Can't tell me Boston had more "elite" talent than that when they won... Same with Chicago, Detroit, or anyone else.
Chara, Toews, and Datsyuk are elite talent in my book.

As are Thomas, Keith, and Lidstrom.

I'll point out the Chicago Blackhawks had two defensemen and 1 forward on the 2010 gold medal hockey team at the Vancouver olympics. That is a crazy amount of talent. Kane and Hossa were also olympic talents I believe.

You mention Subban/Price/Pacioretty/Galchenyuk as our core. OK. First of all, what would be wrong with adding Elias Lindholm or Seth Jones? Second, that core would be inferior to the 2010 Blackhawks, Price and Pacioretty are the only ones with a good shot at playing in the olympics next year in Sochi.

Quote:
Just look at Cbj & wpg... Franchises that made slam dunk top picks several times & yet are still bottom feeders
What?

Columbus has made one slam dunk pick: Rick Nash. That's it. He was good enough to keep them from drafting top-5, but not good enough to make them a playoff team. They then drafted Derrick Brassard, Nikita Filatov, Jacub Voracek, Nikolai Zherdev over a few years, all are busts as far as Columbus is concerned. They could have drafted Sean Couturier, but that pick was sent to the flyers in exchange for Jeff Carter, who didn't work out in Columbus.

Winnipeg (Atlanta) made a few good picks such as Bryan Little, Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian. As of last season they were a superior team to the Habs.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote