View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 02:28 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Gillis responded in a TSN article saying that they are not going to do any favours and give away an all-star player.

Does he not also realize that a team will be doing him a favour by giving him cap space? If nobody trades for him, Vancouver is not in great shape at all when it comes to the salary cap.

Gillis and Co made their bed when they put Schneider into the playoffs and sat Luongo. He also signed the guy to a ridiculous long contract and then decides to dump him. It doesn't matter that the cap hit is ok. The contract is way too long.

The fact is that yes they can keep both goalies, but that is not going to happen long term. One has to go. He does not have much leverage at all.

I still think it's risky throwing all of your eggs into one basket. Anything can happen. Didn't Mason win the Calder?

The goalie storyline is the most interesting thing about the Canucks for me this year. What if Schneider falters? I would keep Roberto this year just for that and then trade one of them afterwards.
Cap space we can live with out. With Edler signed to a sweet deal, it frees up a few more millions for other other resignings (ie Higgins and Lapierre)

They had to do something to shake up the rest of the team...they weren't about the play the Wolves+Ballard against the Kings. Contract length is what it is, and we can still use him, so he's not part of a fire sale.

I agree with you that it won't, but I come to this conclusion with a different method of thinking: Of the 30 teams, us included, how many starters are likely to drop the ball (puck)? And of those, how many teams have another potential starter available? I say one or more.

Agreed. Schneider does have an unbelievable record that has translated from league to league to league though, so Steve Mason isn't the best comparison.

The last point I agree with entirely...barring a great trade offer we simply can't give up. Perhaps not a "platoon" situation, but I see Luongo getting more starts then a run-of-the-mill back up.