View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 03:05 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector209 View Post
Not disagreeing with you here, but sometimes, character (or a lack thereof) is overrated. The two guys you mentioned just championed the Kings to a Stanley Cup. Bet that left Philly feeling a little confused.

Too many Canuck fans get hung up on character. When I played football (obviously not pro, but same principles still apply) we had a lot of prima donna's and arrogant SOB's but they were talented and got the job done.

At the end of the day, the bottom line is: does player X's skillset outweigh his personality issues? In the case of Carter and Richards, it obviously did for the Kings.

Kane gets slammed for the dumbest things. He's a young dude who parties. That's it. It's not like there are on-ice issues with teammates and him affecting the locker room in that manner. Everything he gets criticized for is outside the realm of hockey, which I find irrelevant for judging him as a hockey player.
"Kane punches out cabbie over fifteen cents" and "Kane drunk at a bar"...way over blown. If there is a character issue with Kane, I'd say his skill overshadows it by a good margin. Again, if.