View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 06:50 AM
onebighockeyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
1 - Nobody in this entire thread DOESN'T think that PK Subban is a true impact player with more to come. We ALL think that. That doesn't mean he deserves what (allegedly) he is asking for, which is close to Doughty type money and length.

2 - Bergy is holding firm on a figure that is (again allegedly) VERY reasonable. It's not like he's offering peanuts, he just doesn't want to give a player, ANY player an inflated contract cuz they have leverage. There's a poster on HIO who claims to have some inside info (it's in the comments in the article about Price's mask) where (if you believe him, and I kind of do) that Bergevin respects the Habs, the history and the greatness too much to bow to a single player who is trying to ask for more than what he deserves. I totally respect that attitude. YES - it could hurt the team now, BUT, it will hurt the team much more in the grand scheme if he gives PK a 6.5 for 6 years deal.

3 - I assume you realize this scenario is absurd.

I do agree that if PK agreed to 5 or even 5.5 for 6 years, that's a deal you should make, although I don't know whether Meehan is willing to go for that. He seems to be trying to replicate the Doughty situation and in a market where the fan pressure is added leverage.

Scenario 4:

PK doesn't play (you think he'll enjoy that?) until he agrees to a 2 year deal in which he is forced to work his butt off and show that he is what he thinks he's worth, and then gets the big bucks. Why this is such a problem for PK, I don't understand. He loves hockey, he supposedly loves the Habs and Montreal. What...is...the problem? Probably Meehan. This situation sucks hard and I don't like it more than you that things are the way they are, but IMO as much as Bergy can be criticized for limiting the offer to two years, PK can be criticized for not taking it. These threads have made him out to be the best D in the NHL, which he is not. He IS, however critical to our team so I hope this lockout-esque drama is over soon. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to drag on into the season, thus ruining this one for us, but possibly saving future seasons. Hope I'm wrong and they meet half way.
I agree 100% with your 4th scenario. PK should signs a lucrative 2 year cobtract ~4-4.5 million, much more than MDZ, so he can feel good about that. Then his job is to rack up 60+ points two years in a row and displace a hopefully healthy Markov as #1D, both of which he has not done yet. If he does that then he's the real deal and he busts the bank getting Weber and Suter money for his long-term contract. If a ~4 million 2 year offer is not on the table right now, then Bergevin is mishandling the situation. If it is then Subban and his agent or not being reasonable. The problem is none of us really knows what's on the table on either side.