View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 11:15 AM
HumBucker

vCash: 500
There are lots of interesting variables about this shortened season, but one that may play into the Bruins' hands is that Rask won't have to play an entire season. We saw him kind of run out of steam in 2010 during the playoffs. This year, he'll get just enough games that he'll be red hot come the post-season.

He's also playing for a contract, remember. He knows this is his season to establish himself and make his mark. I think he has enough motivation that we don't need to worry about his hunger level.

Too bad there isn't a veteran backup with him to help steer him a bit, instead of a green rookie. But I guess he has Essensa and I wouldn't be surprised if Timmy was on his speed dial.

As for Dougie, well, he's in the same boat every future all-star D-man started out in. Every Bourque and every Lidstrom started as a rookie, with huge potential and no guarantees. I predict he'll either blossom quickly, or more slowly, or not at all. Mark it.

But, unlike Rask, he at least has some pretty good tutors on hand, in Mssrs. Chara and Seidenberg, and Ference as well. Not to mention a certain 77 hanging around.

My main concern is injuries and slow starts. Looch and Horton need to bring it. If injuries do strike, at least the B's have, if not the organizational depth, the roster flexibility to take a third-line guy like Peverly or Kelly, and promote them, and know they'll perform at least adequately.