View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 11:34 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
To me, he is the most talented forward on the Marlies currently.

People like to slight him due to his size, but Abbot is exceptionally strong on his skates. He has excellent vision (possibly even better than Nazem's) and great offensive instincts.

I would not be surprised if he ends up being the first call-up for the Leafs or even if he sticks with the team as early as this season. In my mind he's nearly ready for the NHL as it stands.
Size is the most overrated reason for saying a player won't make the NHL.

Yes size can't be taught and it can be very handy to have. But skill is not something that comes easy. And Abbot is very talented, size be damned. Size is becoming an increasingly smaller issue. Yes it can be a detriment to a player. But so is skating to a six foot four player, or hockey sense to any player. It's just an obstacle, not nearly the near unbreakable wall that many make it out to be.

The most common argument against small players is that they can get easily thrown around because they are so small. This is true, but the successful small players know that and play accordingly. They are shifty and are damn near impossible to get a bead on. So yes they can get pushed around, but good luck finding them to do it.

David Desharnais, Brian Gionta, Martin St Louis, Jordan Eberle, Ray Whitney, Visnovsky, Saku Koivu, Timonen, Briere, Cammalleri, Derek Roy, Brad Marchand, Steve Sullivan, Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe.

All player's 5 foot 10 or under who have had success in the NHL. And then you go up one inch and the list grows much larger.

Size needs to stop being this insurmountable obstacle. Small guys regularly make the NHL. That's not going to stop anytime soon. Skill is skill.