View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Interesting analysis from Jason Strudwick over at Oilers Nation regarding his #1 concern for the Oilers.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/1/19/sh...their-hopes-up

Excellent points and legitimate questions regarding the Oilers top 6.
That's basically it. Some tough decisions to be made over the next year or so. They badly could use someone like Ryan Clowe, Franzen or heck even Corey Perry (I think he's a RW too though, which would mean Yakupov's transition back to his natural position would be finished as well) someone to flank all these guys on the right. Heck I'd even suggest they go after Getzlaf if at all possible. Hopefully Hartikainen can also top out as a guy who can play on the 2nd or even first line at times to add the big body toughness they are so desperately and obviously lacking. None of Gagner, Hemsky, Horcoff, or whoever else have been good in corners. Hartikainen is a beast in the corners and is exactly what they need, question is whether he can keep up with the speed. He's got good hands and is decent defensively. Eberle and Hall are both good in corners and at winning puck battles despite any size or grit "deficiencies".

Problem is simple, it's clear as day they need a bigger 2nd and 3rd line C, and preferably one more big body LW who has some scoring touch. I don't think these issues can be resolved via the draft anymore. Given the nice young, highly skilled and generally speaking talented core group of players, Tambellini is going to have to make some trades and part with future picks and prospects (maybe even one of the stars) to augment the roster NOW. Can't wait another 3-4 years for a draft pick to come in and fill the void. The roster lacks balance and size. The time is now to make the moves and this shortened season will reveal what is exactly needed. God I wish the Oilers could get there hands on Backes or Ladd or a player like that. It is going to be extremely difficult.

I think that 2nd line in particular could get eaten alive this season.

Last edited by Philly85*: 01-19-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Philly85* is offline   Reply With Quote