View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Between this, Joe Paterno, Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods, and a bunch of other examples, are the media and we (meaning fans/society/etc) going to finally reach a point where we say "let's stop lionizing athletes and sports figures for their character as people, since we don't really know them, and just evaluate them based on their performances"?
Hopefully that day is coming, but of course that requires a better educated public less prone to sensationalism, or the kind of media coverage of sports that is less awash in these dramatic, sensationalist story lines. Since this story came out from a "fringe" media outlet like deadspin, making the very media responsible for that kind of sensationalism look incredibly stupid, maybe there will be a change....but I doubt it.

The thing that bothers/surprises me most about this train wreck isnt so much that someone participate in this lie and think they could fool the public when it broke. Its more about a whole academic institution scrambling to protect their program's image by concocting these absurd stories. And trotting someone out on camera to cry about this garbage "tragedy" when a girl who killed herself was swept under the rug.

I guess that speaks to ending hero worship of a different kind.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote