View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
justheducks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Huh? Neither Kovy nor Nash were sign-and-trades (Nash still was signed, though). And if the whole "sign"-part of things was actually an option, why would we even bother with the "trade"-part? Or do you mean just allowing other GMs to talk to them about potential contracts beforehand to potentially increase their value?

Teams with own top-10 picks aren't going to trade for Getzlaf/Perry, because of their UFA status. Only teams in the playoff-hunt will look to add these guys for their run, and those usually don't have top-10 picks. With the new design of the draft lottery, I suppose there's a chance we could move into the top-10 if a team adding one of them ends up still missing the playoffs and wins in the lottery.

The teams in the playoff hunt won't trade star players for them, either. That certainly wasn't the case in the Kovy-trade and it wasn't even the case in the Nash trade. Top-10 picks as well as star players aren't a reasonable expectation at this point in time if we were to trade them.
Well this may be the season to actually make a trade early and hope that the mid level team (like a Calgary or Dallas type team) after the trade doesn't have a great finish and the teams are so close in the standings that a team that finishes 5 points out of the playoffs ends up getting a 5-10 pick.
Of course, it is a huge gamble either way.
Personally I am not giving up Perry (Getz will stay I think) unless it is for a 1st rounder, a very high top prospect and a top 6 player.