View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 01:10 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
We actually have three different catchers in the system who have all caught Dickey - Thole, Blanco and Mike Nickeas, the other piece that came to Toronto with Thole and Dickey.

We're aware Thole seems like a decent contributor, but IIRC he has options, so he's more likely than Blanco to be sent down on that basis. But remember Blanco caught Dickey in 2010.

From MLB.com:

So the Jays have done a good job of ensuring that Dickey will have a knowledgeable battery mate even in the face of an injury or two at the position.

Doesn't really tell us anything at all, actually, since we don't know what the context was behind the scenes. Maybe he had been nursing an injury and has to convince the manager to even let him dress. Who knows?

No doubt Reyes mean a lot to you guys when he played there, so sensitivities were going to be heightened leading up to his final games that year. But it's always dangerous to read too much into a single situation, especially when you don't have the complete picture. Better to judge a player based on the way they've handled themselves throughout their career.
ESPN New York's Adam Rubin reports the decision to leave the game belonged to Reyes alone and manager Terry Collins said he honored the request in order to maintain the respect between him and his players.
"I said, 'If I go 1-for-1, take me out of the game,'" Reyes told reporters. "And I did that. If I went 0-for-1, maybe I'm still in the game until I get a hit. ... I wanted to stay in the game, but (Mets fans) have to understand, too, what's going on. They have to feel happy about it if I win the batting title. I do that for the team, for the fans too, because they've been supporting me all the way through."

You have to remember Ryan Braun of the Brewers was just a point or two BA behind him on the last day of the season