View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563
+ Fleury - Great game. He bounced back after allowing a goal and shut the door. He looked confident out there, and as we all know that's the most important thing with him. Huge to see him making the saves that he just wasn't down the stretch last year.
+ Sutter - Phenomenal debut. He's already a favorite and he fits that third line center role far more naturally than Staal did last year...we may lose a few goals, but this guy is legit.
+ Martin - Great game. I expect this from him this year, but this may well have been his best game in a Penguins uniform. Smart plays all-around, tons of stick checks, tons of blocked shots...great stuff.
+ The PK in General - Sutter, Adams, Glass, everyone...Philly had some good chances, but they were there to make the plays. The Flyers were generally kept to the perimeters and when the play came in close they were there to box them out...this is the PK of old and not the playoffs.
+ The second line - Tangradi had his ups and downs, but he looked very solid in the third after a lousy second. Malkin looked fresh, he looked on his game, and he looked like...wel, Evgeni Malkin. Neal was shooting everything and getting it on the net...including the game-winner off the faceoff.

- Kunitz - Awful game. I expected that he'd take a few games to catch up to speed, but he just looked lost on the ice...so naturally he got the empty netter.
- Jeffrey - Last second addition to the line-up completely blew his chance and almost gave the game away. He was bad up until that point and that played probably set him to watch the next 3-4 games from the press box.
- The game in general. We're lucky that this was against the Flyers and not a team like the Panthers or something...without that level of hatred there this would have been a lousy game just because of how sloppy the majority of both teams looked today...this was expected and I doubt we'll see any team really in full-speed mode until around the 10 game mark, but it was rather painful seeing so many circles cut in the ice instead of start-and-stop.
- Orpik - Had a couple nice hits and wasn't awful in general...but his give-away led to the goal (though Kunitz's coverage was worse than the giveaway in my eyes) and he looked the least sharp of any of the defenders.
- The Philadelphia crowd - Because they're there.

It was ugly, but that's a huge 2 clean points to start the season off on the road against our biggest rivals.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote