View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
I don't think the 5 years + of high draft picks has impeded the teams you mention more than mismanagement has (esp. in the cases of COL and NYI). One of the main points of racking up picks and prospects is to strategically use some of them in trades for more established players to compliment your team. None of those teams have done that successfully. In EDM's case, for example, it might be in their best interest to dangle one of their studs up front for a blue line beast. And then use someone else to go get a goalie when the time is right.
The term "tanking" is misleading in that there aren't any teams that intentionally lose to acquire a high pick. In MTL's case, if by the trade deadline the team is clearly out of contention, someone like Plek or Cole or Markov might end up being dealt, but only if we stink. I doubt they'd move all of the above, but, based on the message of "patience" that was often uttered by management and the coaching staff during the off-season, I wouldn't be shocked to see them move one in an effort to stockpile picks if all is lost this season.
Agreed and I have always supported your position or positions similar to this, but that's not what's being suggested, we trade almost all of them and not just at the deadline if we're out of it, but that should be the strategy entering the season. The idea is simply ridiculous. Owners, don't support this position, GMs most certainly don't or they'll be out of work in short order.

The ideas being proposed in this thread lead to never ending cycles of losing. You need a combination of youth, and veterans, and just because a guy is on the downside of his career doesn't mean he can't still be a valuable contributor to a good hockey team.