View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Even if Hodgson has 1st line upside, he didn't have 1st line upside for this team.

Who was Hodgson traded for? Kassian. Who's our best prospect right now? Jensen. Who was just drafted in 2012? Gaunce. The theme among these three? Size.

Gillis just spent two years having skilled players get rattled by big players who mix physicality with scoring and good defensive play. His hands are tied with the Sedins, but his hands weren't with Hodgson. Trading Hodgson and letting Ehrhoff walk in favor of Kassian and Garrison reflected a shift in Gillis' philosophy from skill and speed to size. Whether he's right in the long run is anyone's guess.

Kassian at 60 points > Hodgson at 80 points because Kassian offers things that Hodgson does not. However, Kassian has more risk at this point because he's more raw. Where does Schroeder fit into all of this?

Probably just a hold over until our big 3 prospects develop.
You're kind of making assumptions about my stance and arguing things that I wasn't arguing against.

I'm not moaning that we should have kept Hodgson, or condemning Schroeder's play by any stretch. I just hate when fans put on rose-colored glasses and totally lean to one side, downplaying the abilities of players the minute they leave.

I'm rooting for Schroeder and I admire his effort/performance these last two years, AND it's very possible that he could be a better fit for this team (I'm not confident about that either way) but I think it's pretty clear that Hodgson is the better prospect at this point. I'm happy with Kassian, but it's dumb to go "Hodgson wasn't that good anyways! Go Canucks!" IMO

That was the entire basis/intent of my comments. Not to complain, but to quell exaggeration.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-19-2013 at 08:24 PM.