View Single Post
Old
01-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Dude, you're one of the better posters on this board. You understand that it's about winning cups. I'm asking you to take the emotion out of this. Think about it for a second without worrying about the short term.

Look at our core right now going forward. I agree, it's a good core. I also agree that it might be good enough to contend in a few years. Not this year, not next but maybe (if we're lucky) two or three years from now. But it's a maybe... its not a sure thing with what we've got.

Even assuming that it is though, that's two or three years where we could be developing prospects that we could be trading for now. That's also two or three years where guys like Markov, Cole and Pleks will be drained of their diminishing returns.

If we got even late firsts for Cole and Subban + a good prospect for Pleks (which is realistic) then we'll probably fall in the standings this year (we may fall anyway) and get another top pick. Now add that to what we already have. How could we NOT be contenders in three years?

You're saying that we might be contenders with what we have in a few years and maybe you're right. I think if we cash in some assets now, we'd be ensuring ourselves of it. And all I care about are cups. That's it.
If we trade away all of our contributing vets, in 2-3 years we'd be what the oilers, isles & jackets have been... Loaded with young talent but not enough depth or leadership to be even a playoff team.

Bourque, Kaberle are obviously guys you move for virtually whatever...

Cole, who has a NTC, I'd move in the right deal, but not just for the sake of it & not for just a late first round pick (for every maxpac, there's a fisher or chipchura waiting in the weeds)

Gionta same as Cole... Both bring a quality work ethic/attitude element that has value beyond their declining production. Both are on premium contracts, but replacing them with ufas will give more of the same

Pleks is not a guy you move unless the offer is outlandishly high... He's everything you want out of a veteran top 6 player who is at that level just below elite, and he's shown repeatedly that he can effectively complement a star player. At 5m he's a perfect fit. Trading him for a mid-1st + prospect (unless its a taresenko or huberdeau, which ain't happening) would be a waste and hurt our contender building more than help.

Markov, if healthy & back to/close to normal.... Same as Pleks. If he's reduced significantly, we won't get much in return but moving his contract if we can would make sense.

I am and have always been about long term contender building, and have no emotional attachment to any one player.... Being extremist in either direction is unproductive.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote