View Single Post
Old
06-21-2006, 04:13 PM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting

But you have to trade him or Lundqvist soon. Right now Montoya can stay in the AHL and still get better. But it doesn't make any sense to have both of these guys on the NYR roster unless one is injured and the other is starting. People who want both of these guys on the same team for a whole season are insane. Montoya will not get any better being an NHL backup all season. And if they each play 41 games it will probably hurt the value/confidence of one or both.

If Lundqvist is really our #1 for the next 10 years or so we need to keep Montoya until the point where isn't getting any better in the AHL. I believe it's after 06-07 or during 07-08

I don't really get this line of thought. I goalie rotation is not a long term anwer, eventually you do have to pick your guy, but there are plenty of examples of it working for a season or so (manny fernandez/dwayne roloson in 03/04 comes to mind), especially when both guys are still young. If you don't play Montoya at the NHL level then how will you ever know which goalie you want to keep?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote