View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 01:01 AM
NYRSchrute217

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Quite frankly, outside of a 2-5 minute stretch after Richie's goal I didn't see the difference between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd period. A number of teams got blown out today, big name teams too. While that's certainly a positive in the sense that all those teams probably won't suck, it also shows that some teams did play well. Namely those teams blowing them out. It's just if I saw something to hang my hat on other than Hank I wouldn't be so nervous. They gave me nothing today. There was light at the end of the tunnel. How do you know these guys will mesh? Guys like Stepan who looked bad in the playofs looked bad again. Gabby looked like he did 2 years ago after the surgery. Hagelin may have a sophomore slump. Who's to say any of this will be fixed?
Of course some teams played well. I think league-wide, you'll find the trend to be the teams with similar teams last year and teams that had most of their players playing during the lockout played the best (outside of LA). That trend will likely continue the first 5 games. As for having something to hang your hat on, I provided 4 others besides Hank that played very good games.

I can understand your reason for pessimism but I'd like to think you'll give them more credit than that. 1 game does not wipe out 102 of great hockey and a lot of growth last year. I think Hagelin's problem is he does not belong on the first line at all. Gaborik will get stronger as the year goes on. I think Stepan doesn't really fit too well with Callahan either. So a lot of the problem is on Torts to find the right line combos that will work.