View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Aerial

vCash: 500
I'm not "complacent" with what Chevy has done -- I don't think that word means quite what you think it means -- but for the most part, I've been pleased.

I like what I've seen from the drafting. I was very happy with our off-season -- signing Jokinen, Wellwood and Ponikarovsky, re-signing a good glue guy / bottom-sixer like Slater to a very reasonable deal and locking down an elite talent like Enstrom before he went to FA were all great moves.

To be sure, I don't like all of the moves he's made, but I wouldn't expect to ever like 100% of moves any GM makes. Some of the waiver-wire pick-ups confuse me... but realistically, that's just trying out an asset you get for nothing. The Pavelec contract is pretty concerning. But on balance, I think he's taking the Jets in the right direction. Some of it is a matter of being patient until we get a team with his stamp on it.

Quote:
And I hope Noel is fired after this year! And last but not least I don't like how Cheveldayoff has handled the roster and that includes signing Olie and Pony, bringing back Slater, signing all of these veterans etc!
Other than Jokinen and Ponikarovsky -- both of which were strong and very low-risk signings, in my opinion, for a team that desperately needed to be shored up with solid NHLers -- I'm not sure who else you mean by "all these veterans," or who else you'd propose as far as youth to take their spots.

We don't have a lot of NHL-ready talent in the prospect pool, and (other than a still-very young Scheifele) certainly none that are capable of handling the responsibilities Jokinen is (basically, no Top 6 forwards)... and statistically, I believe none that could handle Ponikarovsky's minutes as well as he does.

The point of signing Poni and Jokinen was to make the Jets a little sturdier while we wait for new prospects and new free-agent opportunities to come up; they were shrewd, short-term contracts for two solid and proven NHL forwards. Those two contracts I have no problem with.

As for Noel, I'm okay being patient to see how he does for longer -- it's not like the Jets are ready to be a contender, for reasons other than coaching. Once we get more of the right pieces in place -- either through FA or as our kids come of age -- then we'll really see what the coaching is made of, I think.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote