View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Your point is fair about not having a perfect team, but we have two potential future McDonough's in our system, and one or both should be ready by next season: Harrington & Dumoulin (guys who can be legit, top-4, big-minuite Dmen), and the latter may be ready to step in now if he can adjust to the pro game at an accellerated pace -- a proposition unrealistic for most junior-age players, but this is a guy who is 23 years old and a two-time Hobey Baker finalist and has a team-winning pedigree.

It ultimately comes down to weighing asset management vs. NHL readiness of the only candidates to replace Brooks: Dumoulin or Bortuzzo in the top-4. If they're not ready, I say keep him, and get whatever we can for him in the off-season. But we might be able to get a really good return for him now; though if we trade him, I'd like to see him go out west, and obviously the return would need to be good.
I am not sure of your point then.

Everyone agrees that we have the best defensive prospects in the game and within a year or two they will step up as cheap replacements for who we have now. Orpik's days are obviously among the numbered. But you were talking right now in the thread. And that is crazy talk for a cup contender. Do you forget Goligoski's first couple years? Even Letang's? They were brutal. You want to toss a cup away, then bring a rookie into the top four. Even a good one.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote