Old
06-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

In reality despite his energy and drive, up until this year he production wise he was only an 18 goal, 40 point player. Which when looking at it came as a surprise to me at least, I always had it in my head that he had scored more but in fact had never topped 20 goals at the NHL level until this year.
That is because he has played on quite a few plain stinkers during the course of his career. Look at the goals scored during the years he has played for the Hurricanes and you'll get the full story. Terrible all around.

Now that there is a supporting cast to finish and start his plays, the points are starting to come more often.

In regards to what he would be worth in a trade, he's still too risky at this point for anybody besides Carolina. That neck injury was serious. If he comes back and plays another great year for Carolina next year, he could command a really huge return. If Carolina trades him for peanuts, then egg is all over their face if he regains form and is again a top forward in the league. If he is traded for a King's Ransom and subsequently falls on his face, the GM is chastcized for taking a bad risk. There isn't a lot you could trade for Cole where both sides would be assured to get fair value, and that usually means the player won't be moving any time soon.

A little note of interest, Erik Cole scored his first NHL point on his first or second shift in a game in Carolina against the NYR on opening day of the 2001-2002 season. He assisted on a Darren Langdon goal.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote